Gene,

Again, I am not a VFP developer, but my understanding from the Clipper/VO/X# XBase fork:

SET DEFAULT change the path where when not specifying a path, will determine where it will first look at trying to find the file.  The default is the Executing directory.

SET PATH is used as alternative places to look when not found in the DEFAULT folder.  There are certain file open commands that does not adhere to this which I cannot set my hands on now since it is stated in the Clipper/VO/X# help to be documented in the specific commands/functions help description.

HTH,

Johan