The 2Gb limitation is in the DBF structure. DBFs and CDX could grow into
Terabytes without problems. It's just that good old dBase has decided to set
the maximum filesize to 2Gb (which was the max harddisk size at that time).

You may have heard about "Advantage Database Server", originally from Extended
Systems, later on acquired by Sybase, later on acquired by SAP.  That ADS
server is based on DBFs as internal datastructure. They have two modes: VFP
compatible (then you can add a true MultiTier Server on top of your existing
DBC/DBF/CDX), and the extended version, which alters the DBF-header (and
renames them to ADT) and is then limited at only disksize (or 2 billion records
at 65k each = 6.55e+16 tablesize)

I once spoke with one of the developers of Extended Systems, why they stil use
the DBF file structure. He told me that the VFP tables and indices are stil the
fastest ISAM based structure, and together with their own SQL engine based on
top of that (they also have their own Rushmore-like optimizer) they are stil
faster than traditional better-known Dataservers. Unfortunately, MS prohibits
publishing of speedtests in their license, but one should think why SAP has
acquired them...

For more info:
https://www.sap.com/products/advantage-database-server.html

wOOdy