John Weller wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have to write a small utility that will check for the presence of a file
> or files in a particular folder every 5 minutes or so.  If any are there it
> does some processing on them.  It will probably run on the server.  As I see
> it there are two ways I can go:
>
> 1.    Have a program that runs every 5 minutes triggered by scheduler.  Snag
> arises if the processing takes more than 5 minutes (which could possibly
> happen in the future).
>
> 2.    Run the program continuously in a loop which will process the files then
> go to sleep for 5 minutes (using the API Sleep function).  Question - will
> this absorb much in the way of resources?  I've found the Fox to be very
> fast but a resource hog.
>
> Any comments or suggestions of a better way will be gratefully received - I
> see no benefit in re-inventing the wheel if someone has already tried
> something similar.

Write a small simple VFP program that utilitizes the VFP timer, and then
turn it off while in your processing routine (when the flag condition is
met), then turn it back on as you exit the processing routine.  What's
wrong with that idea?  Is this one of those "if it sounds too good to be
true, ..." kind of scenarios?

--
Michael J. Babcock, MCP
MB Software Solutions, LLC