Hey -= == ==

I'm just curious what's going on....

I flipped my KVM switch over to my server (for no particular reason),
and noticed my eMail server going wild. Somebody is sending mail
after mail to my server, to made-up users in my domain. the user
names aren't random, they all start with "shethang," for example:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and on and on.  All of the "from" IP's and domains
are being spoofed, so I can't blacklist any of it.

My server doesn't have a "catchall" email account, so all of these
are being bounced. I could understand it if the user names were more
random, that they may be trying to figure out 'real" ones (that don't
bounce), but this seems to be a very inefficient way to harvest user
names.

The volume doesn't seem high enough to bring down my server. I don't
have an open relay, so I am not being used as a surrogate.

I just don't understand what somebody has to gain by flooding my server?

Ideas????

Ken