Coldest I have been as an adult was Eau Claire, WI.  Two winters in a row it
hit -45F, and when wind chill was added in it was like -65F.  Very dangerous
to go out without adequate protection for ALL skin surfaces.  Lots of folks
were treated for flash frostbite, including eyes.  At those temps,
especially with wind chill impact, it only takes a moment to get a flash
frostbite.  I also had to use an engine block heater to keep my car engine
relatively warm enough to crank over and start.  At the office we had
hitching posts with electrical outlets for the heaters.

And, as mentioned earlier (back on track), at those temps the Cold Cranking
Reserve capacity of a car battery was heavily impacted.  Only the largest
and freshest of batteries would crank an engine over and start a car up.  I
always got a new battery before winter hit, just to make certain I would not
be stranded - hopefully.  Even at that when the battery was -45F (engine was
warmer, but not the battery itself) the engine cranked over very slowly.  I
do not recall how low a temp the battery electrolyte would freeze at, but
with a charged battery with lots of sulfuric acid solution it was not a
problem at -45F.  A partially discharged battery would have a weaker acid
solution, and could freeze, spilling acid all over the engine compartment
(or trunk for some cars).

Glad to be in +5F (current temp out here), it is kinda warm outside <g>...

Gil