> I agree with all except the multiple monitors, I have multiple monitors on
> Win2K - no problem. If you have trouble, it is probably due to the driver.
> You may be able to get an upgrade.

I haven't tried multiple monitors on W2K, so it's probably better now,
yes. I tried to load a 3rd monitor the other day on WXP and had some
problems... I think that was driver-related, though...

> Maybe we need a list of reasons for not upgrading:

That's the easy list to make. #1 would be 'don't fix what ain't
broke', but if we did that, innovation of all sorts would stop.

> 1. don't have to worry about being forced to load IE7 with all the problems
> it causes.

If you disable the auto-update crap, you can get away with not loading
IE7. I unloaded it the first time it installed when it caused
problems, but I loaded it when I recently re-installed a month or two
ago and haven't had problems since-- I just had to get an update for
Ultra Edit, as their installer was to blame for it not working
properly, I guess...

> 2. activation - no need to call and be put on hold for 30 minutes when you
> upgrade your hard drive (stupid!!)

Amen. Make that reason #1.

> 3. No need to hassle with sharing since it works in Win2K as it should
> and XP never did work.

Did you turn off 'simple file sharing'? Simple, my ass. It makes
things just not seem to work-- at least for anyone who knows how to
share-- maybe those people who have never shared a folder can figure
it out...

> 4. No need to go through the new 'look and feel/themes'

I kinda like it. The updated fonts, clear type, 'hot' buttons, etc.,
all make the O/S just feel better to me. More a familiarity thing, I'm
sure...

> Win2K was the last OS from Microsoft that worked pretty well.

My stance until a year or 2 ago when I finally installed Windows XP on
my main machine at home.

> As far as the remote desktop - there are many alternatives available that
> work great.

Not usually as well nor as stable. Definitely not with the same LAN
remote-control experience. Using RDP fullscreen over a LAN, you don't
even realize you're RDP'd into another machine unless you try to run a
video and notice it's a bit sluggish. All the window updates are
almost as good as if you were, sound plays locally, colors are high,
no screen anamolies, etc...

> I'll bet MS could increase their income by eliminating the activation crap
> and all the people who take those phone calls. Probably millions per year.
> I'll bet it costs them more than it produces. All they would have to do is
> imprint a name with each serial number and not allow it to be changed.

Yep. They were making plenty of money and getting lots of people to
upgrade up from Windows 3.1 to W2K, but then a huge segment of people
stopped at W2K. They know this, hence their stopping support for W2K,
limiting IE7 to WXP+, etc.

> Everytime it is installed, that same name would have to be entered. It could
> all be automated and would save them millions. That way you could upgrade
> your hard drive without the phone call. A stolen copy would have a certain
> name/serial number and could be easily blocked automatically. I have been
> using that with my software since 1982 and I have no trouble with pirated
> copies. I freely distribute trial versions. When they register, I check some
> things to ensure it is valid and give them a serial number cannot be used by
> anyone else without that same name appearing on the screen every time it
> comes up. If I am told about a pirated copy (1 time in all those years), it
> is easy to determine who distributed it. Most shareware that I have works
> that way. No need for activation. I guess that is too simple. MS would
> rather hassle all their clients - or maybe they are getting bad advice from
> someone who is making a lot of money from the activation nonsense.

Retail software is sold in such a way you don't have customer
information usually...

--
Derek