Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2007, at 6:46 PM, Whil Hentzen (Pro*) wrote:
>
>> What requirements are there, other than mod_python and some tweaks to
>> httpd.conf, for Python to replace PHP as the language engine for a
>> Web app?
>
>       Uh... it depends. See below.

OK, that's a good first answer. "It's different than PHP or ASP where
there's one way to do it." Fair nuf.

>       One statement about Python is that there are more web frameworks in
> Python than keywords. It might be an exaggeration, but not by much.

Yeah, I saw that on the py page. My thumb got tired of scrolling down
the page that listed the popular ones. I never got to the fringe list.

>       You *can* use mod_python to embed Python code in web pages, as PHP
> and/or ASP do. You can probably write your own web server from
> scratch in Python in about a half hour. You can install Zope and have
> a full-featured web application server with a ton of built-in stuff,
> and 2 tons more stuff that you can add with a couple of clicks. You
> can install any number of frameworks that span the range of DIY to
> "answer a few questions, and you're done". It all depends on what it
> is that you want to do.

I've got a question out to my isp about whether or not they support
python as well as PHP. I'm not hopeful. So I may end up hosting it here.

I've got four servers downstairs, but I need a fifth for playing around
with. Go figger.

>       Who was that wise guy who kept ranting about "choice" being a good
> thing? ;-)

Some long-haired freak, no doubt. Why do we need more than one brand of
sneaker, diet soda, automobile or software? I've lived with the same
woman for 30 years, no choice there whatsoever.....

Whil