On 3/19/07, Dave Crozier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now, my question. Using standard UML how do you represent this relationship?

Well, I don't think that you can, or should.

The relationship is between the PK and the FK, two identical fields.
If you're not joining the tables this way, you're not using a
relational database technique, won't be able to take advantage of
Rushmore and will run into scaling issues. The relationship needs to
be between identically-defined fields of the same type and scale. The
*ordering* of the data in the relationship can easily be expressed
with an ORDER BY clause when you're deriving a cursor.

> Questions:
> 1. Is the ability to link tables in this way only catered for in UML by
> linking the PK of the Customer and the PK_Customer fields and then doing a
> sort in the SQL Select statement as in client/server?

I would say not "in UML" but rather "in DBMS." UML just limits your
ability to express inappropriate relationships.

> 2. How do others in the group document their database table relationships?

All the time. xCase isn't just my documentation tool, it's my primary
means of modeling new changes to the database, scripting the changes,
and ensuring synchrony between the model and the live data. And it
prints pretty diagrams that impress the clients, too!

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC