On 7/10/07, Jeff Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nobody does desktop any more?  Good luck Steve.

Jeff, please don't feed the troll. Stephen gotcha. I guess you didn't
see his smile. This was an attempt at irony. Or satire. Or farse. With
Stephen, it's so hard to tell.

> Major corporations are concerned about
> security and I don't mean people surfing the internet.

That's interesting. Do you maintain there is actually a difference
between a desktop app and a web-browser-based app in terms of
security?

> Follow Ed to a Python conference and see how "painful" it is.

>  Maybe there are no database frameworks because no one can do it!

There are lots of _database_ frameworks. Take a look at SQLAlchemy.
The Object-Relational-Management-Systems (ORMs) are taking over the
universe. It's seems like everyone and their brother thinks they can
make one. One in a hundred is actually on to something.

As for _desktop_ frameworks, there are a lot of different toolkits
available for the graphics (GTK+, Qt, wxWidgets, Tk), database
interfaces (from ORMs to ODBC) and scripting languages to glue them
all together. Thousands of desktop apps are out there right now. Ed
and Paul and the dabo crew are trying to build a more integrated stack

> Dabo is no trivial undertaking!

Very true. And a awesome job they are doing.

> I love you man and you are a champ in the kitchen, but why do you hang
> around here anyway?

I'll be interested in the answer to that one, too. For me, I enjoy the
high-level discussion of development issues. I still recall a little
bit about FoxPro to share here and there. And there's always MB to
hassle. Despite belonging to another half-dozen LUG lists, Python
lists, Ruby lists, and developer groups, this list still has some of
the best [NF] discussions.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC