On 7/13/07, Helio W. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> They don't have any Linux guy (or a even a Microsoftie for that
> matter) and Windows SBS looks like an easier route... The new server
> (currently they run a peer to peer network) will probably be a Dell
> PowerEdge 840 (Xeon 3050).

Easier for what? What is it they want the machine to do?

In eitther case, a server should have someone reading the logs and
ensure that routine maintenance is performed regularly and
successfully. I strongly recommend my clients get a "computer guy" on
contract for a couple of hours of routine work per month, and on-call
service.

I've installed Linux boxes at a couple of client sites that serve as
their windows files shares, print server, database server, in-house
intranet, and also offer me secure remote access into their network,
backup capabilities, remote troubleshooting, etc. Either package can
do that. SBS  is a bundle of software along with Windows Server, but
you don't mention if they are going to use any of that. You mention
PostgreSQL or MySQL, so you're not using the SQL Server portion.
Exchange is more trouble than its worth, imo. So why use SBS?

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC