BTW, under the Interstate Battery web site you will find the battery style
you need under the Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) section on the left.  Doing a
search on ADP Smart UPS 1000 yielded this page:

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/search.asp?N=0&Ntk=SearchGroup&Ntt
=apc+smart+ups+1000&Nty=0&D=apc+smart+ups+1000&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Dx=mode+
matchallany&Ns=product+Type%7c0||Rank|1&Nu=Part+Number&searchtype=Y&mscssid=
A6LVEVC9FB2R9K0EE8RMVFWUJF0VDJM6

Lots of options.  You will need to dig into the APC site to see which
voltage and AH rating is correct.

Gil