On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Rick Schummer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  The licensing for MapPoint is a bit expensive if you have lots of people
> using the functionality,
>  but the COM object is easy to work with and works well with VFP, especially
> for routing. I have a
>  client using Street Wizard in his vertical market app and it works well and
> does routing too.

In addition to the great suggestions Rick makes, there's a whole
industry of mapping or GIS software that can be integrated into VFP
via COM. Back in 1998 at Blackstone, I used a COM / ActiveX plugin
from Blue Marble Geographics (http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/) to create
street level maps of Hartford, Connecticut for police log data
analysis, written up here:

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9903/05/crimesoft.idg/

Our solution was an order of magnitude less expensive than the other
contestants in the DOJ contest. And it worked. Two features the other
competitors couldn't claim. Needless to say, we were ostracized :)

Depending on your specific needs, if you want to use your own routing
software and have the patience to download and integrate your own
mapping data (TIGER data is available at no cost, just a lot of labor
to get it into the forms you want), you can do this. If you'd rather
feed addresses in sequence into MapPoint and let its routing algorithm
(not a bad one) work out the routes, that's also a legitimate option.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC