> dBase2 had 4 tables open as a limit, dBase3 you could get  25????
> Darn that was so long ago.  That made a huge difference to me.  Then I
> saw foxbase and the same app compiled in fox was faster.  I think that
> was 89 or so and never looked back.

I knew of FoxBase from its earliest days due to various magazine ads, but I
stuck with dBase III+ as it was doing the job I needed done, and I had
already shelled out a lot of wampum for it.  I had already made a cutover
from Lotus 123/Symphony to Quattro, and although it was not entiely brutal I
did not feel like making a similar migration to FoxBase unless I had to.

Then in about 1994 M$ picked up FoxBase and came out with FoxPro DOS and
FoxPro Windows (v-2.5 and/or 2.6).  That is when I jumped due to a new
project that would demand a lot of speed, and dBase III+ had by then
"displaced" in the market by dBase IV - which had so many problems that I
knew I would not be able to use it for this particular project.

Once I put my teeth into FoxPro I never looked back except for occassional
musings about the positive impact dBase III/III+ had in my career.  It was
one of the first applications, along with Borland's Sidekick, that I
licensed when I purchased my first IBM PC.

Then along came Visual FoxPro.  Woo Hoo!!!  And here I am today, still.

Gil