On 17 November 2012 02:39, Raul Miller <rauldmil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Alex Giannakopoulos
> > then cheap tricks like "padding" to read will have to be discarded,
> > and something more serious adopted.  (I mean, you're not going to
> > pad a 3-d cube with 6 copies of itself, are you?  LOL)
>
> Why not?
>
> For contrast, in lisp, it's traditional to use lists which double the
> storage needed to represent a list of numbers
> [...etc]
>
> Also, on my phone, I've numerous applications I do not use and which I
> cannot turn off which each occupy about 8MB.  In contrast, six copies
> of a 3D tic-tac-toe board is probably about 1k of memory...

That's an interesting perspective Raul, thanks.
However, my concern was not the saving of 1k mem, but a deeper elegance
issue.  I may be wrong here, I don't know, but I always prefer my data to
exist as only one copy, and as many references to it as are needed.

And while a 3D tic-tac-toe is not that taxing on memory, the same can't be
said of 10k x 10k x 10k cellular automaton.

Anyway, I'll see how it goes once I write it.  Thanks for all your help.