That's certainly one way of looking at it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positioning_(marketing) might be another way
of looking at this.

Look... if *all* you show is your product - no background, no context, no
fun, then you might be quite successful at preaching to the choir (that
would be us). But that should not be your target audience for a promotional
video.

Actually, thinking in terms of "target audiences" sort of misses the point.

One point is that you do not know who your target audience is. That is up
to your audience to decide. So you need to have a certain amount of respect
for them. Some of the audience for your promotional video might hate J, and
might just want to make fun of it. But if they are entertained by the video
they might pass it on as a reference to their friends. Enough of this and
you are going to reach people that would otherwise have never heard about
the language. And some of them will be interested.

Meanwhile, that interest is not going to blossom, full strength, just from
watching a video. But having some familiarity with the language makes
allows people to get used to the ideas and - later on, when they see
mention of the language in other contexts - they can be a little more
comfortable with it. Even if they originally decided it was wrong for them,
at that time, people change their minds and sometimes people want to try
things out.

Now... with computing... a lot of the decisions about computing activities
are "fad based". People make recommendations and other people follow
systems of thought that [from a distance] seem completely arbitrary. So we
might get hit by that at some point, if we have enough good things to show
and if enough people know about what we can do. That will cause problems
for us, especially if we don't have enough good solid people to absorb the
shocks, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Anyways, my point is: if you want to put together a good J promotional
video with no distractions, I think you should go ahead and do that.
There's nothing stopping you, and we do need more awareness of what can be
done with J.

But that does not mean we need to be scared of other attempts which also
attempt to entertain. If someone finds the sound track to be too much of a
distraction, they can turn off the sound. If they simply do not like the
video, they will go watch something else instead. But at this point our
audience size is so small that I'm honestly not worried too much about
being "too entertaining" or "too distracting".

When you come right down to it, J is a programming *language*. Most people
do not learn languages (programming or otherwise) purely for the joy of the
language itself. They learn because of the people they want to exchange
ideas with, because of the works they gain access to, because of the
characteristics of those people and ideas.

When you look out at other programming languages, are you going to want to
learn a language because of some bit of code written in the language?
Maybe? Or are you going to want to learn the language because people you
respect express joy about using the language?

Honestly? I can't answer how you would choose.

But it bothers me to see us tearing down someone's work because it's "too
upbeat". Actually, that bothers me a lot.

We have a lot to be critical of, in our community. We have various bugs and
problems that really need to be fixed. We have an arcane syntax which - if
you put in the effort - is an incredibly powerful tool. But if we become
popular you know that there will be people who just stare at it in
bafflement and don't really see what's so good about it. They'll want to be
using it for reasons they do not particularly understand and many of them
will not have the years it takes to become fluent in the language.

But that's nothing compared to the problems that people have just getting
started. The problems of the depth of the language are balanced by the fact
that for most applications you only need to use a small fraction of the
language's power. And the rest can be sitting there, waiting for people to
use *IF* it's acceptable to use it in the first place.

Right now, J is acceptable to use in limited contexts. But we do not have
much appeal to the sort of person that wants "distractions" (also known as:
the sort of person who has other interests - perhaps things like food,
sleep and/or music - believe it or not, I have heard that there are
actually people who like the stuff).

Anyways, I guess I'm saying that we have plenty of room for improvement but
I feel like our community is still too small for this kind of harsh self
criticism. Let's save that for the things that we really lack, ok?

Thanks,

--
Raul