(x I. y) does use binary search, and requires that y be either nonincreasing or nondecreasing.

Length of names has a tiny effect on performance, as the interpreter has to compare the name against a stored name. It is barely noticeable; slightly more noticeable when J8.05 added a fast path for singleton operations; disappears for local names now that J8.05 prehashes names assigned by local assignment. Not worth mentioning, except that the difference between the two programs was so small.

Henry Rich