Martin,

The original problem I was working on was a post on Quora (
https://goo.gl/NrZde2). I use these Quora math questions to help sharpen my
J skills. I try to see if I can "brute force" the solutions using J, while
most other posters try to solve these things by algebraic manipulation.  My
answer to that question is here: (https://goo.gl/FhdJAg). There are several
Quora problems that I have posted J solutions for, mostly to show how
simple a brute force solution can be when using an array language. You can
find those posts by searching for my name ("Skip Cave") in Quora

In this problem all I really needed to do was to find all the results from
the equation that were integers, so I used the 0=1||  scheme to find them.

Our discussion on the J forum got me thinking about finding both the
fractional part and the integer part of numbers, and I thought the pair of
verbs (fp, ip) would be a nice addition to the Phrases doc, which is
defined as listing phrases "useful to beginners in learning the language,
and of continuing use to practical programmers."

Also, when I obtained the fractional part, I wanted to keep the fact that
the fractional part came from a negative number, hence the attempt to have
negative fractional parts.

Skip

Skip Cave
Cave Consulting LLC