I'm not sure "acceptable" is nuanced enough - it's definitely an issue
worth understanding.

That said, mathematics routinely deals with infinities and computers
are always finite. This creates inevitable tensions and design
tradeoffs, regardless of the context.

However, in some contexts those tradeoffs will be near ideal, in other
contexts, those tradeoffs will be uncomfortable, and in yet other
contexts they might be showstoppers.

Here, in this context, J's tradeoffs are slightly uncomfortable, but
manageable. But the reasons why have to do with the nature of the
measurements which produce numbers.

I hope this makes sense...

Thanks,

--