The definition in J dictionary is for classroom teaching. In real world ^
is implemented using hardware.

You may work around using <.14^2

On Sep 7, 2017 11:43 PM, "Rudolf Sykora" <rudolf.syk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (n^2) | 5729082486784839
>
> is promoted to float, and loses precision.  Same when the big number is
> extended - it's converted to float.

Hello,

I still do not understand the logic here. Why do these three differ?

n =. 14

(*: n) | 5729082486784839
147

0

(n*n) | 5729082486784839
147

And where can I find that they are expected to differ?
Can I read somewhere how the conversions/promotions are applied?

Moreover (!), reading the vocabulary states:
----
For a non-negative integer y, the phrase x ^ y is equivalent to */y # x
----
thus n^2 should be---if I understand the vocabulary---the same as */2 # n ,
but the latter gives the "correct"

(*/2 # n) | 5729082486784839
147
.