Don't use Bali as your backyard: envoy warns
RPeake
Thursday, 22 September 2005

Australia has accepted Indonesia's choice as its new ambassador to Canberra
as the outgoing diplomat issued a stern warning yesterday about young
Australians treating Bali as their backyard.
Imron Cotan, who leaves Australia tomorrow, is being replaced by career
diplomat Hamzah Thayeb.

Mr Cotan is being recalled halfway through a term marked by the arrest of
the "Bali nine" and Schapelle Corby, and her trial and the subsequent white
powder attacks on the Indonesian embassy.

Mr Cotan said Indonesia had adopted a tough stance against drugs because of
the crippling effects drugs were having on its younger generation.

"Many Australians consider Bali as their own backyard, so they take a kind
of laid-back attitude, forgetting the fact that Indonesia has always treated
illicit use of drugs seriously," he said.

"So we would like to call on all Australians, especially the younger
generation, not to bring drugs into Indonesia because they will face serious
consequences.

"My feeling is that psychologically they treat Bali as part of their
lifestyle.

"Here you have quite a lenient approach as far as drug use is concerned, but
since we have a lot of people being affected by this, we have taken serious
steps to redress the situation.

"Although in one or two occasions we still have unfortunate cases where some
young Australians are being caught.

"We fully sympathise with them but we can not interfere with the legal
process."

The Federal Government has been refusing to say that replacement ambassador
Hamzah Thayeb would be coming to Canberra until the appointment was
announced by Indonesia.

Mr Thayeb recently accused some Australian aid groups of fuelling separatist
sentiment in Irian Jaya.

However, Mr Thayeb's nomination was approved by the Indonesian Government
early in July.

Mr Cotan said the appointment of the new ambassador had now been approved by
Governor-General Michael Jeffery.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=national&category=general%20news&story_id=425987&y=2005&m=9

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/uTGrlB/TM