Africa
Appeal to spare Libyan civilians
Around 50 Muslim leaders call for end to civilian deaths after security 
crackdown on funeral procession of protesters.
Last Modified: 20 Feb 2011 11:25 GMT


More than 100 people have been killed in Libya since protests broke out across 
the North African nation six days ago, according to a watchdog group.

New York City-based Human Rights Watch said on Sunday that it now estimated at 
least 104 people had died in the unrest, though it called that figure 
"conservative".

Witnesses in Benghazi, Libya's second-largest city, tell Al Jazeera that at 
least 200 people have died there, with hundreds more wounded. Protests have 
also reportedly broken out in other cities, including Bayda, Derna, Tobruk and 
Misrata.

In Tripoli, the capital, supporters of the government took to the streets in 
large numbers, and security forces prevented large demonstrations against 
Muammar Gaddafi's 42-year reign.

Benghazi a war zone'

Moftah, a Benghazi man who requested Al Jazeera use only his first name, said 
the city had become a "war zone" in recent days.

Residents have barricaded the streets with overturned trash cans and debris, 
and security forces have largely confined themselves to two compounds, though 
they continue to snipe at protesters, he said.

The forces who remain are "thugs" loyal to Gaddafi, Moftah said, and they are 
firing high-calibre ammunition at protesters.

Mariam, a doctor speaking from a hospital in Benghazi, said the military had 
shot at protesters with live ammunition and that even the hospital was not 
safe. An eight-year-old boy who had been shot in the head was among the dead, 
she said.
Live Blog

Security forces had reportedly opened fire at a funeral in the eastern, coastal 
city on Saturday, killing at least 15 people and injuring scores more.

The funeral was to honour protesters killed by security forces during the 
ongoing protests, which began on Monday after the arrest of a prominent lawyer 
and have continued to call for Gaddafi's downfall.

Another doctor from Benghazi's al-Jalah hospital said staff there had received 
15 bodies and were treating numerous people following the funeral shootings. He 
said the hospital had counted 44 deaths in three days and was struggling to 
treat the wounded.

"This is not a well-equipped hospital and these injuries come in waves," he 
said. "All are very serious injuries, involving the head, the chest and the 
abdomen. They are bullet injuries from high-velocity rifles."

He said the wounded and dead were all civilians aged 13 to 35 and that the 
security forces were "absolutely" under a shoot-to-kill policy.

Appeal for calm

Against this backdrop of violence, opposition groups said around 50 Libyan 
Muslim leaders have urged security forces to stop killing civilians.

"This is an urgent appeal from religious scholars, intellectuals, and clan 
elders from Tripoli, Bani Walid, Zintan, Jadu, Msalata, Misrata, Zawiah, and 
other towns and villages of the western area," the appeal signed by the group 
of leaders said.

"We appeal to every Muslim, within the regime or assisting it in any way, to 
recognize that the killing of innocent human beings is forbidden by our Creator 
and by His beloved Prophet of Compassion (peace be upon him) ... Do NOT kill 
your brothers and sisters. STOP the massacre NOW!"

The deaths came amid claims that a military brigade in Benghazi had fallen to 
the people. The doctor in Benghazi told Al Jazeera that protesters stormed the 
building on Saturday.

Ahmed, a Benghazi businessman who also gave only his first name, said hospitals 
in the city were overwhelmed with the number of dead and injured and were 
running out of blood.

"It's a big, big massacre. We've never heard of anything like this before. It's 
horrible," he said.

"The shooting is still taking place right now. We're about three kilometers 
away from it, and we saw this morning army troops coming into the city. You can 
hear the shooting now. They don't care about us."

Unrest 'spreading'

The unrest in Libya has largely been centred in the eastern cities of Benghazi, 
Bayda and Tobruk. But Al Jazeera has received reports that the protests have 
begun to spread to the country's west.

Twitter Reaction
Libya Protests
NewshoundNews profile

NewshoundNews RT @Jnoubiyeh: Al Jazeera Confirmed: Women and children are 
amongst the dead in the horrific #Benghazi massacre ordered by #Gaddafi. #Libya 
#Feb17 #Libyans 2 minutes ago · reply
mostafanageeb profile

mostafanageeb #itsscientificallyproven #Libya. At least 500 Libyans are 
estimated to have been murdered by #Gaddafi since the uprising began 2 minutes 
ago · reply
A11_Seeing_Eye profile

A11_Seeing_Eye RT @Jnoubiyeh: Al Jazeera Confirmed: Women and children are 
amongst the dead in the horrific #Benghazi massacre ordered by #Gaddafi. #Libya 
#Feb17 #Libyans 51 seconds ago · reply
iyad_elbaghdadi profile

iyad_elbaghdadi Congratulations #Gaddafi, you made Ben Ali and Mubarak look 
like fuzzy, fluffy teddy bears. #Feb17 #Libya 16 hours ago · reply 20+ recent 
retweets
Jnoubiyeh profile

Jnoubiyeh Al Jazeera Confirmed: Women and children are amongst the dead in the 
horrific #Benghazi massacre ordered by #Gaddafi. #Libya #Feb17 #Libyans 16 
hours ago · reply 100+ recent retweets
Join the conversation

Witnesses said thousands of people took part in peaceful protests in the 
western city of Misrata. They were demonstrating against state brutality, 
rather than calling for a change in government.

Mohamed Abdulmalek, the chairman of Libya Watch - a human rights group that 
monitors abuse in the country - said the delay of protests in the west was due 
to the heavy presence of security forces there, "not because the people did not 
want to go out".

"The security presence in Tripoli, for example, was so intense that people 
gathered individually in the beginning," Abdulmalek said from the United 
Kingdom. "The Libyan regime anticipated this, so the squares in Tripoli were 
occupied by security forces and therefore people were not allowed to gather."

"But eventually, the pressure on the capital started from outside Tripoli and 
now you see the people revolting. We have no doubt that the east and the west 
will unite."

Verifying news from Libya has been difficult since the protests began, thanks 
to restrictions on journalists entering the country, as well as Internet and 
mobile phone black outs imposed by the government.

The Libyan government has blocked Al Jazeera's TV signal in the country and 
residents have also reported that the network's website is inaccessible from 
there.

Internet cut

In addition to TV signal jamming, internet service has been cut off, according 
to a US company that monitors web traffic.

Massachusetts-based Arbor Networks said data collected from 30 Internet service 
providers around the world showed that online traffic in and out of Libya was 
disconnected abruptly at  2:15 am local time on Saturday. The data also showed 
two partial service interruptions earlier in the day.

As of Sunday, it was still possible to reach Libyans by phone, and some in 
Tripoli had Internet access.

Protests in the country began on February 14, and three days later tens of 
thousands of anti-government demonstrators seeking to oust Gaddafi took to the 
streets in what organisers called a "day of rage" modelled after similar 
protests in Tunisia and Egypt that ousted longtime leaders there.

While Libya has the largest oil reserves in Africa, two-thirds of the 
6.5-million-strong population live on less than $2 a day.



------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke