Middle East
Reports of new protests in Iran

Anti-government protesters have gathered in Tehran and other cities to honour 
two who died during earlier demonstration.
D. Parvaz Last Modified: 20 Feb 2011 15:41 GMT

There are reports of renewed anti-government protests in Iran, with 
demonstrators taking to the streets in several cities across the country.

There have also been clashes between protesters and security forces, posts on 
social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter said on Sunday.

Protesters have reportedly thronged Tehran's Vali-Asr and Enghelab squares. 
Similar demonstrations are being reported in Shiraz and Isfahan.

Reformist news sites said security forces were responding to the protests in 
some measure.

Rahesabz.net reported that a number of plainclothes Basij security forces, some 
on motorcycle, had arrived at the protest in Shiraz, carrying the flag of the 
Islamic republic. They also blocked the entrance to some streets.

A page on Facebook used to organise the protests also carried a post saying 
that security forces were beating protesters with batons and chains in the 
northern city of Rasht.

The page also quoted witnesses as saying that tear gas had been used  against 
protesters in Tehran, and the BBC Persian website said gunshots had been heard 
in the Abbas Abad area, west of Vali-Asr street.

'Scare tactics'

Meanwhile, Kaleme.com - which belongs to Mir Hossein Mousavi, who, along with 
fellow opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi remains under house arrest - reported 
that plainclothes security forces were speeding through crowds of protesters in 
Tehran in an attempt to scare the crowd, causing them to panic and disperse

Al Jazeera cannot independently confirm the reports.

State news agency Fars, however, said that Tehran is in a state of "total calm".

The Iranian government has tried to dissuade protesters from taking to the 
streets via state media, first by saying that members of the banned group 
People's Mujahedeen of Iran (MKO) were planning on killing people at the 
protests.

The Fars news agency also published an interview with lawmaker Seyyed Mohammad 
Javad Aabtehi, in which he said that not only should people refrain from 
participating in any kind of gathering, but that they should even avoid 
observing the protests.

The Human Rights House of Iran (RAHANA) reported that prior to the start of the 
protests on Sunday, there were also numerous reports of uniformed and 
plainclothes security forces in several key gathering points in the capital and 
that there were "several cars in Azadi street which are believed to be for 
detaining the citizens".

Follow D. Parvaz on Twitter.



------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke