Syria launches bloody new crackdown as U.S. threatens sanctions
>From Rima Maktabi, CNN
April 25, 2011 -- Updated 1715 GMT (0115 HKT)


(CNN) -- The Syrian government launched a major military operation Monday, 
sending thousands of troops into the town where the country's uprising began, 
to carry out what witnesses described as a brutal, wider-scale crackdown.

The United States threatened sanctions against the country, calling for a halt 
to Syria's "deplorable" actions. At the United Nations, a draft statement 
condemning the violence was being circulated among security council members, a 
U.N. diplomat said.

Between 4,000 and 5,000 members of the Army and security forces raided the 
southern city of Daraa just after 4 a.m. equipped with seven tanks, and began 
shooting indiscriminately, in some cases shooting into homes as people slept, 
according to an activist with the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Seven people were confirmed killed in the city, the activist said.

Other witnesses described a trail of dead bodies in the streets.

"Ambulances could not help the injured because of the snipers and army officers 
who are deployed all over the city," one witness in Daraa said. "They shoot on 
anything that moves."

A military official -- the second commander in a brigade that entered Daraa -- 
defected over the violence, the activist with the Syrian Observatory for Human 
Rights and another opposition source said. The commander was then arrested, the 
activist said.

In the city of Douma, security forces took to the streets and arrested numerous 
people, a witness said, comparing the city to a prison.

Tommy Vietor, spokesman for the U.S. National Security Council, issued a 
statement condemning Syria's "brutal violence" against its citizens, calling it 
"completely deplorable."

"The United States is pursuing a range of possible policy options, including 
targeted sanctions, to respond to the crackdown and make clear that this 
behavior is unacceptable," Vietor said in the statement. "The Syrian people's 
call for freedom of expression, association, peaceful assembly, and the ability 
to freely choose their leaders must be heard."

The United States is preparing new sanctions against members of Bashar 
al-Assad's regime who are overseeing the violent crackdown, according to 
several senior U.S. officials with knowledge of the action. A new Treasury 
Department executive order targeting senior officials accused of human rights 
abuses would involve an asset freeze and travel ban, as well as prohibiting 
them from doing business in the United States.

A U.N. diplomat said a draft security council statement sponsored by France, 
Portgual, and the United Kingdom condemned the violence and called for 
restraint. It also supported Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's call for an 
independent investigation on the matter. The draft was to be formally 
introduced Monday, and a final statement could be agreed upon by Tuesday, the 
diplomat said.

U.N. human rights chief Navi Pillay issued a statement saying Syria has offered 
"paper reforms followed by violent crackdowns on protesters."

"The international community has repeatedly urged the Syrian Government to stop 
killing its own people, but our calls have gone unheeded," Pillay said. Her 
office has received a list naming 76 people killed on Friday during evidently 
peaceful marches, but the number may be much higher, Pillay's office said. The 
office is also looking into reports of 13 people killed in funeral processions 
Saturday.

The Syrian government, meanwhile, said 12 "martyrs" killed "by armed criminal 
groups" around the country -- including several near Daraa -- were buried. The 
government has been arguing that its security forces are cracking down on such 
groups wreaking havoc on the nation.

Fear and panic coursed through Daraa on Monday.

Anti-government protests that have taken hold in many parts of Syria began in 
Daraa last month following a violent crackdown by security forces on peaceful 
demonstrators protesting the arrests of youths who scribbled anti-government 
graffiti. Protesters have asked for freedom and regime reform. Public 
discontent with al-Assad's government has mounted.

Activists also want the easing of the ruling Baath Party's power and a law that 
would permit the establishment of independent political parties.

In recent days, witnesses in Syria had told CNN they want the security 
apparatus, which includes Syria's secret intelligence operatives, dissolved, 
and would rather see the army take to the streets. They believed the army would 
be friendlier to protesters -- as was the case in the Egyptian uprising. But on 
Monday, video from Syria showed what appeared to be members of the army 
carrying out al-Assad's crackdown.

As another witness spoke to CNN by phone, the sound of gunfire could be heard 
in the background, along with people screaming, "Allahu Akbar" -- meaning "God 
is great."

"There are around 3,000 soldiers in Daraa now. They are breaking into people's 
houses, firing randomly at houses," the resident said. "We were sleeping and 
not protesting."

The activist with the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Syrian forces 
occupied two mosques and a graveyard, and snipers were located on houses' and 
high rise buildings' rooftops.

Another witness also described the onslaught of tanks invading Daraa.

"Before dawn prayers, around 4:30 a.m., the Syrian security forces broke into 
Daraa," the witness said. "There were so many tanks that entered the city from 
its four corners. People were heading to mosques when the attack started. 
People in mosques started warning the people through loud speakers, but the 
gunfire had already started."

The witnesses added that ambulances were not allowed into the city and that 
electricity and phone lines were down. None of the witnesses wanted their names 
used for fear of reprisals.

CNN has not been granted access into Syria and is unable to independently 
verify witness accounts.

The city of Douma, north of Daraa also in southwestern Syria, was surrounded by 
security forces Monday, not by the military, a witness told CNN. They seemed to 
be in every alley in the city, preventing people's movements and carrying out 
arrests, the witness said, adding that 15 of his friends were arrested.

Following morning prayers, intense gunfire was heard in the city, the witness 
said, adding that he did not see casualties in his vicinity but did not know 
about other areas in Douma.

Cautious calm followed later in the day, he said. Shops were closed, and people 
were frightened, the witness said, comparing it to "living in a big prison 
cell."

"As we woke up in the morning we started hearing that the Syrian security 
forces are arresting people randomly in (Douma)," activist and human rights 
lawyer Razan Zaytouni said from Damascus. "Many of these men are our colleagues 
and friends. I do not know the exact number yet because telephones are down. We 
are contacting our fellow activists through other ways other than telephones 
... we are worried we cannot know their destiny."

Monday afternoon, Jordan Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh confirmed to CNN that 
Syrian authorities have closed off the border with Jordan.

Because Daraa lies on the border, sealing it makes it difficult for besieged 
residents to flee the military offensive.

The state-run news agency SANA said Monday that "seven martyrs who were killed 
in Nawa near Daraa by armed criminal groups were laid to rest." So were two 
"martyrs" killed in Moathamia, in the Damascus countryside, the report said, 
citing "an official source at the General Command of the Syrian Army and Armed 
Forces."

A military doctor "said that the martyrs' bodies had signs of mutilation that 
defies all humane principles, and that the firearm injuries were made to the 
head, torso, back and limbs of the victims, and that the bodies were mutilated 
with knives and sharp implements afterwards," the report said.

"The towns of Soda and Shas in Tartous, Syrian coast, escorted three of its 
sons who were martyred at the hands of armed criminal groups in Jobar near 
Damascus at Souk al-Hal while marketing their crops," the report said.

"The criminals intercepted them and shot them to death, then mutilated their 
bodies afterwards."

The report added that the "martyrs' relatives affirmed that the Syrian people 
are aware of the conspiracy targeting Syria and that they will confront it, 
expressing pride that their sons were martyred.

The Syrian government has accused protesters of shooting at security forces, 
while opposition activists and demonstrators accuse the government of killing 
demonstrators.

The Syrian government and security forces have been largely silent over the 
past month and generally speak only through state media. There was no immediate 
word from the Syrian leadership about the reports from Daraa on Monday.

"The Syrian regime is killing us," one man in Daraa told CNN on Monday. "Please 
tell the world."



------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke