http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/10/21/papuan-death-toll-climbs-5-after-police-crackdown.html
Papuan death toll climbs to 5 after police crackdown
The Jakarta Post | Fri, 10/21/2011 12:09 PM 
Papua Police has announced the death toll has increased to five after a violent 
police crackdown in which participants in the Third Papua People’s Congress in 
Abepura, Jayapura, were allegedly beaten and shot at by security officers.

The deceased have been identified as Daniel Kadefa and Max Sesa, who were found 
on Thursday afternoon. Also found was Yacob Samonsabra, Aza Yeuw and an unknown 
victim, who were found on Thursday evening.

A local resident by the name of Anton said all of the victims had been shot to 
death and had not died as a result of being hit by sharp objects.

Papua Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Wachyono, however, denied that excessive force 
had been used, saying police had followed standard procedures in closing the 
congress.

“We shot upward and did not target participants,” Wachyono said Friday as 
quoted by tempointeraktif.com.

Wachyono denied police responsibility for the deaths.

When questioned on allegations that police had fired at participants in the 
congress, Wachyono demanded patience while evidence was being gathered from the 
autopsies of the deceased.


+++++

Post Comments | Comments (3) 

Ignasius Ngari, in Jayapura, | Sat, 22/10/2011 am31 06:10am 

I knew what was taking place during Papuan Congress. Initally it was peacefull. 
When people were celebrating the end of the conggress in an opened area, the 
army fired guns and people dispersed. Some escaped to closed houses begging 
protection. It was undeniable that the army who killed the Papuans. Why, 
because since the morning of last day congress, they had deployed soldiers on 
all sides of the congress place and also they were the only people who carried 
all kinds of weapon. Wachyono you'r a big liar. If you dare, come with you bare 
hands and we will argue about it. 

Report Abuse 
Ating in Amsterdam | Fri, 21/10/2011 pm31 16:10pm 

Indonesian pollice just kill Papuans as if blacks are not human!
INDONESIA: PLEASE.. LET MY PEOPLE GO! 

Report Abuse 
Roderick in Cambodia | Fri, 21/10/2011 pm31 13:10pm 

For several days, the indonesian military commander in papua said that no 
papuan had beeb killed and that his troops had only fired warning shots to 
disburse the crowd. It has now turned out that out least five papuans are dead, 
caused by gunshot wounds and many more have been severly beaten.
Surely it is now time, for an indepedant assessment to be made by Amnesty 
International or some similarly reputable institution to determine what is 
happening in west papua and the various means employed by the Indonesian army 
in dealing with papuan dissidents 


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke