Again, it depends, I don't know what you want to collect and store. It
could be enough, it could not be enough. Only you can capacity plan this
with the knowledge of your internal requirements.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 8:09 PM Puneet Singh <singh.punit1...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ben,
> Thank you for the response. So for scraping and storing/writing the data
> for this setup, prometheus would need ~30G memory .
>
> i have a query on 2 Data Query scenarios-
> scenario1: We run a query to get 3 years of load via grafana as -
> node_load15{instance="$node",job="$job"}[$__rate_interval]

> scenario2: we decide to query the system load  worth 3 years for a single
> server from the grafana, which uses following query:
> avg_over_time(node_load15{instance="$node",job="$job"}[$__rate_interval])
> * 100 / on(instance) group_left sum by
> (instance)(irate(node_cpu_seconds_total{instance="$node",job="$job"}[$__rate_interval]))
>
> this involves 2 series, plus 3 functions (avg_over_time,sum by , irate)
> and a division operation
>
> Is there a way to  get a rough estimate of the amount of CPU and RAM
> required for the queries mentioned in scenario1 and scenario2?

Again, it depends on how exactly many series and samples you need to load.
Figure maybe 20MiB of memory per series with 15s scrape intervals.

That query is a bit nonsensical. Load average is not really a useful metric
to look at, and I don't understand why you're dividing it by CPU seconds.

For things that you want to graph over long periods of time, you can use
recording rules to generate pre-computed data that is easier to query.

https://prometheus.io/docs/prometheus/latest/configuration/recording_rules/