Am 21.04.2015 um 15:48 schrieb Makarius:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Stefan Monnier wrote:

don't believe that there are serious adherents to Emacs still around to

Hmm...

Maybe I should add the sentence that I deleted before posting the above: I keep telling this story for several years already, and nothing has ever happened from the side of remaining Emacs people. So until there is a constructive proof of serious Emacs development activity, I won't believe it anymore. (The yound and fresh forces have mostly gone over to the vi side.)

Hi Makarius,

for the sake of a very, very interesting project as Isabelle certainly looks like, also having done fairly enough mistakes by myself, please permit to outline what's wrong here IMHO:

first, there is no need to support Emacs actively by any core developers of a programming language.
Just keep the path open.

Emacs and vi are fairly unrelated here. There is the joke Emacs is missing an editor, which points at the direction. Vi OTOH _is_ an editor, but rather hardly anything else. Emacs is a lisp-machine, providing a highly flexible, often elegant language environment. Emacs lisp created some addicts - which wasn't heard from vim-script so far :)

So what's interesting is not Emacs itself, but what you could do on top of an Emacs running Isabelle.

Best regards,

Andreas