You mean here the pipes that are created when running Elisp's start-process?

It looks like you'd setup a filter function for the Coq process to get
its output, and use process-send-string to send input to Coq.

I guess that's as easy as, or easier than sending data over sockets.

Yes, I'd like to avoid the complexity of a comint-like mode, and have
only one process shell mechanism in PG.

-- Paul