I have tried to build ProofPower on Ubuntu 9.04,
but it failed so I was wondering whether anyone
else has succeeded and if they have any helpful
hints.

I used the lastest "p2" sources, which build OK
for me on openSUSE 10.3.

On Ubuntu the build fails pretty quickly in
makehelp.sh with the message:

troff: fatal error: can't find macro file s

Any ideas what the problem might be?

I have built the PolyML 5.2.1 without problems,
but am uncertain about whether I have an adequate motif
installation.
Some motif client stuff has been installed from debian packages.
Since it didn't look like it would be enough I downloaded
the source from OpenMotif but it would not build in my
environment (perhaps not enough X11 development stuff available).

However, it doesn't look on the face of it as if
the problem I am hitting has anything to do with Motif.

Roger Jones