I use Xpp in 1-window mode for general text editing, and I also 2-window
mode for developing scripts.  I want to develop my text with 80-character
width, which is the industry standard.  Like many, I only have a 1280x800
screen, and so horizontal mode means that the journal window is very
squashed up if the script window stays at 80.  So I prefer vertical.

I bet Phil is now going to show off about his new, super-hidef screen laptop
and suggest horizontal mode... :)

Mark.