Yuhui,

On 1 Apr 2015, at 23:14, YuHui Lin <y....@hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve got two errors when I install pp, on the latest version of Mac OS
> 10.10.2. The causes of these two errors are the path of X11 which seems to be
> different. I am thinking my experience might be helpful, so I share the
> errors and the fixes here.
>
> The error messages I got are
>        'X11/Intrinsic.h' file not found
>
> and
>        directory not found for option '-L/usr/X11R6/lib’.

That is actually a warning and you can ignore it. However, it might be
associated with a real error
if the right -L option isn’t there on the cc command line as well.

> For the first error, it can be fixed by adding a link from your local x11
> path to the one which the install program search for. For example:
>
>       ln -s /opt/X11/include/X11 /usr/local/include/X11
>
> where “/opt/X11/include/X11” is my local install of X11.

You could also have run configure like this

        PPUSERCFLAGS=-I/opt/X11/include/X11 configure

to get the extra flag on the cc command lines.

> For the second error, I changed the makefile for the xpp, which is located at
>
>       xpp/xpp.mdk.
>
> The changes I made are to substitute
>        /usr/X11R6
>        /opt/X11

Again if you need to, you can achieve this from outside:

        PPUSERCFLAGS=-I/opt/X11/include/X11 PPUSERCLIBS=-L/opt/X11 configure

What I don’t understand is why it was failing. If you have used MacPorts to
install Motif
it should have installed the MacPorts X11 files in /opt/local/include/X11.
It looks to me like you have the Apple X11 files in /opt/X11, but not the
MacPorts X11 stuff in /opt/local.
So where do you have OpenMotif installed? Where does configure say it found
Motif?

When I build on a Mac, what I see in build.log is this:

cc -g -DMACOSX -DGETOPTDONE=-1 -DUSE_GRANTPT -DSLOWREGEXEC -I/opt/local/include
-Wall -I/usr/X11R6/include   -c -o help.o help.c
cc -g -DMACOSX -DGETOPTDONE=-1 -DUSE_GRANTPT -DSLOWREGEXEC -I/opt/local/include
-Wall -I/usr/X11R6/include -o xpp cmdline.o diag.o files.o findfile.o lineno.o
mainw.o menus.o msg.o options.o palette.o pixmaps.o pterm.o search.o
templates.o undo.o xmisc.o xpp.o help.o -L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm
-lXext -lXp -lXt -lSM -lICE -lX11

where the extra -I and -L have been put in by configure automatically.
That works with a warning about -L/usr/X11R6/lib that can safely be ignored.

Regards,

Rob.