From: Proofpower [mailto:proofpower-boun...@lemma-one.com] On Behalf Of Rob
Arthan
Sent: 27 November 2016 14:21
To: ProofPower List
Subject: [ProofPower] Distributed concatenation symbol

Dear All,

Roger Jones and I are doing some more work on Unicode and UTF-8 support in
ProofPower.

We are currently considering two changes to the Unicode mapping as currently
defined at:

            http://www.lemma-one.com/ProofPower/unicode/pp-unicode.html

1) Supporting Unicode/UTF-8 in xpp and the various document-processing scripts
would be

much simpler, if each character in the ProofPower extended character set mapped
to a single

Unicode code point. Currently the only exception is the symbol for distributed
concatenation

which has to be translated into two code points (a frown followed by a slash).
Since frown-slash

is already accepted as a synonym for the single character for distributed
concatenation we

would like to withdraw the single character mark-up from the ProofPower Z
library.

2) We would like to use the MathML XML entity set as a standard set of
human-readable

names for Unicode code points. However, there a few slight discrepancies that
need to be resolved:

At Phil Clayton’s (nice) suggestion, the ProofPower mapping currently maps the
greek

letters to the corresponding code points for Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols
in the range

1D400–1D7FF. The MathML entities use the code points for Greek in the range
0370–03FF.

The Mathematical Greek Symbols do look nice, but to gain compatibility with
MathML,

we would like to revert to using the code points for Greek in the range
0370-03FF.

This will also allow you to enter Greek by switching to a  standard Greek
keyboard mapping.

In passing we will also use the right symbol for φ (the current mapping uses
what LaTeX

calls \varphi rather than \phi).

Any comments on this would be appreciated.