Wrote a prosody-cookbook [2] (see chef[1]) for setting up prosody.

The setup for the ldap auth part is described here [3]
See for the config templates used by the recipe.

I am using the default ldap port - so can not reproduce your issue.
Perhaps it is a problem with lua-ldap (or your specific installed version?)

Just guessing.

[1] http://www.getchef.com/
[2] https://github.com/computerlyrik/chef-prosody
[3] https://github.com/computerlyrik/chef-prosody/blob/master/recipes/ldap.rb [4] https://github.com/computerlyrik/chef-prosody/tree/master/templates/default