On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 08:18:01 +0100
Matthew Wild <mwi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Theo,
>
> On 9 September 2014 07:45, Theodor-Iulian Ciobanu <theo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've recently moved from CentOS to FreeBSD and am having issues
> > starting prosody with use_libevent=true. I'm using luajit-2.0.3
> > (same behavior with lua5.1 though), libevent2-2.0.21_2 and master
> > of luaevent (there isn't a port for it, so I thought of going with
> > the latest if I'm compiling it anyway).
>
> I know of an issue with FreeBSD + libevent that occurs when Prosody is
> set to daemonize itself, however I thought that issue manifested
> itself differently. Could you try daemonize = false in (the global
> section of) your config file, and see if this is that same issue?

As almost always the case in such events, as soon as I hit Send on my previous
mail I found this workaround as well:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2014-April/275346.html

And by setting daemonize=false and having the rc script take care of it instead
I was able to start prosody.

My next question would be if this is an issue with lib/luaevent on fbsd (though
I was able to run the luaevent client+server test successfully) or with prosody
itself, because I'd be more than happy to help debug and fix this if the latter
case. I tried adding more debug info to server_event.lua to check if there was
a silent failure when registering events, but that didn't seem the case; and
it's also where my knowledge of libevent sort of stops, so I don't know where
to go to next.

> Regards,
> Matthew

Thank you and kind regards,