From: GrandMasterFlash [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, 26 February 2001 2:58 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list proteledausers
Subject: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: How to Auto-Route Single Sided PCB avoiding
short circuits ?

Hello everybody,

First of all, please excuse my poor English.
I've just started using Protel 99 SE.

I would like to auto-route a PCB placing tracks only on the bottom layer,
plus, if needed, a few jumpers (wires) on the top layer.
To do auto-routing only on the bottom layer, I have defined the design rules
so that the Top Layer is not used (like every other layers, exept the bottom
one) and the routing direction for the Bottom Layer is "any".

The problem is that after 1 hour of auto-routing, almost all connections are
routed, but when I launch a Design Rules Check, I get 136 short-circuits !

If I use both Bottom Layer and Top Layer, everything is all right, no short
circuit.

So I'd like to know if it's possible to avoid short-circuits using only one
layer.
I'd like the Auto-router to route the maximum number of connections on the
bottom layer and to stop when no more connections can be routed, so I just
have to route them manually, placing  jumpers on the Top Layer.

Or if this not possible, I'd like to auto-route on both Top and Bottom
Layer, but using in priority the bottom layer.
I've been told that this could be done with a router such as Specctra.
But I can't believe such a powerfull software like Protel can not do that !

Thanks in advance,

--
Nicolas.