> Using 2/3 of an inch or .67 of an inch, its obvious which one is the more
> accurate. Maybe fractions rather than rounded decimals used in conversions
> would allow better accuracy.
>
> Clive Broome

In other words, rational numbers (i.e. the ratio of one integer to another).

Conceptually, this could be done. However, the addition of numbers with
different denominators typically results in a number with a still larger
denominator (i.e. the LCM of the original two denominators). This is one
reason why rational numbers are not normally used, per se, in PCs or PC
applications.

As I previously mentioned, I consider that the adaptation of an Internal
Measurement Unit that is a metric distance would significantly reduce the
extent of the situations currently experienced, in which metric distances
can get changed. An inch is *exactly* 25.4 mm, but it is not possible to
express a mm in terms of an inch without using a recurring decimal
representation (1 mm ~ 0.0393700787401574803... inches) (or a rational
number representation, to wit 5/127 inches).

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer