Dear Protel users,

I've stumbled across some glitches involving the "Port" section of the ERC rule
matrix. I'm getting one bogus error, and I've also noticed (fortunately before I
even got to layout) some other mistakes I made on a schematic, of the sort that
I expected ERC to warn me about, but it didn't.

One of these flaws is noted in
  http://www.protel.com/kb/rdc0029.htm
.

Other than changing the "unconnected" row/column from the default of "No report"
to what I think would be a better default of "Warning", my matrix is identical
to the default matrix (I just checked). (I think Dwight Harm suggested this many
months ago, and I haven't touched it since then).

I think that that the ``Design | Create Symbol from Sheet'' dialog box asking
about "Confirm: Reverse Input/Output Directions ?" is pretty silly -- the right
answer is always "No.". Is there ever a good reason to hit "Yes" ?

I'm using ``Tools | ERC | Sheets to Netlist: Active Sheet | Net identifier
scope: Sheet Symbol / Port Connections''.
I still find the difference between input ports, input pins, output ports, and
output pins a little confusing.
The user interface might be less confusing if there were no rows for ports in
the ERC matrix, and instead the documentation mentioned things like "The input
port component has an output pin", and "An output sheet entry is an output pin".

By default, the row for "Output Pin", "Input Port", and "Output Sheet Entry"
rows of the ERC Rule Matrix are identical. Is there ever any good reason to make
them different ? Or does this "flexibility" just make things more confusing
without any benefit ?

--
David Cary