Hello All
I find using rooms especially helpful for poorly drawn schematics.  Many
designers I work with today will place 5 or six components bearing one
function together on page one and though these parts may tie into a
functional block on page 11, it difficult to decipher how a poorly drawn
schematic will flow.   Unlike groups, I have the flexibility to move parts
more freely, however I wish I could place a room and all of the components
inside the room would automatically be placed into  a component class.  I
have also used the rooms for illustration purposes when I had to conduct
floor planning reviews.   I label the rooms using the engineers functional
name and his electrical  flow is very intelligible for a design review.
But what do I know I'm just another idiot asking for more idiotic features.

Mike Reagan
EDSI
Frederick MD

> Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 09.04.2001 04:59:22
>
> Please respond to Protel EDA Forum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> To:   Protel EDA Forum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> cc:
> Subject:  Re: [PEDA] schematic on my PCB ??
>

> At 09:07 AM 4/6/01 -0700, Peter Bennett wrote:
>
> >Those are the idiotic "rooms" that are supposed to be an aid to parts
> >placement.
>
> As I recall, we are the "idiots" who asked for this feature. Just because
> one does not need the feature in one's own work doesn't mean that it is
> useless.
>
> The room concept is broader than the aid-to-parts-placement purpose, but,
> for now, it is great that there is a tool which can be used to
> automatically place parts in blocks according to schematic page.
>
> Schematics, especially well-drawn ones, quite frequently are organized in
> such a way that associating the parts on them is very helpful in
placement.
> This is why we asked for this tool.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Abdulrahman Lomax
> P.O. Box 690
> El Verano, CA 95433
>

> Dear Mr. Lomax,
>
> thank you for your explanation of the intention of this feature. I too was
> wondering what this was supposed to be good for, as it only messes up my
> PCBs if I don`t uncheck the box in "update PCB". I can well understand
that
> some circuits, especially analogue ones with lots of discrete components,
> can make good use of this feature if drawn in the way you describe.
>
> Possibly Mr. Bennett does designs like I do, with a number of IC's with
> high pin count or several different gates, which cannot be placed on one
> sheet of the schematic, if you want to keep it readable. I, for instance,
> devide high pin count components into different function "parts" in the
> library (e.g. 1st part PCI bus interface, 2nd part local bus interface,
3rd
> part control/port/or other signals, 4th part power supply pins). This is a
> handy way of building functional blocks within a schematic, but, as
> different parts of the components are placed on different sheets of the
> schematic, the "rooms" feature makes no sense any more for this kind of
> design.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gisbert Auge
> N.A.T. GmbH