In a message dated 4/17/2001 2:58:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have started a new project in the last few days,  using Protel99 SE
>  SP6,  and Windows 98.
>
>  Before starting the project,  the desktop icons were correct and
>  stable.  In the last few days,  always sometime after having run Protel,  I
>  have experienced 3 occurrences of desktop icons having been changed to
>  another type of icon.
>
>  For example,  after bringing up a net list in wordpad,  several of my
>  .doc icons suddenly started displaying my email client icon.
>
>  So far it seems to be a random event.  Trying to create a reproducible
>  test case.  Not a real problem for me,  just wondering if anyone else
>  has seen this?

I had this issue too; it's caused by a corruption of the icon cache and by a
defaul registry entry that's setting the allocation for the icon cache a bit
small.

Here's what MS says's:

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the icon cache is not properly updated.

RESOLUTION

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may
require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee
that
problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.
Use
Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys And
Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete
Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in
Regedt32.exe.
Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are
running
Windows NT, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
To resolve this behavior, use one or more of the following methods:
Press the F5 key to refresh the icons in the current folder.
Close and then reopen a window that contains incorrect icons.
Restart your computer.
Delete the ShellIconCache file. This file is re-created automatically when
you restart
Windows. To delete this file, use the following steps:

1. Restart Windows in Safe mode. To do so, follow the steps in the appropriate
section below:

Windows 95
Restart your computer. When you see the "Starting Windows 95" message,
press the F8 key, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu.

Windows 98
Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key after your computer
completes the Power On Self Test (POST), and then choose Safe Mode from the
Startup menu.

2. Use Windows Explorer to delete the ShellIconCache file from the Windows
folder. To do so right-click the ShellIconCache file, and then click Delete.

NOTE: You need to be able to view hidden files to see the ShellIconCache file.
To view hidden files in Windows 95, click Options on the View menu in Windows
Explorer, click Show All Files, and then click OK. To view hidden files in
Windows
98, click Folder Options on the View menu in Windows Explorer, click the View
tab, click Show All Files, and then click OK.

3. Restart your computer

Using Registry Editor, add the "Max Cached Icons" (without quotation marks)
string
value with a value data of "2048" (without quotation marks) to the following
registry
key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
and then restart your computer. If the icons are still incorrect, delete the
ShellIconCache file.

MORE INFORMATION
For more information about this issue, please see the following article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base: Article-ID: Q133733
TITLE : Icons Displayed Incorrectly in Control Panel
Additional query words: change replaced changing
Version : WINDOWS:95
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type : kbprb

* To join or leave this list visit: