> Bottom line, the format is a netlist as we understand a net list plus the
> physical location and dimensions of the pads. It looks quite simple to
> write; it would be much easier to generate this from the Protel PCB ASCII
> file than from gerber; all the necessary data is there in named fields,
> mostly in the pad records.

I have tried "playing" with  RSI, Protel, and Camtastic to generate a decent
IPC 356 file.   The closest was RSI, however we still had some problems when
the board shops received RSI's converted netlist. so we gave up sending
them.  I believe their reference keeps getting messed up on the conversion.

So here is the scoop, a spectra dsn file contains everything-  all of the
pads, pad shapes, and netlist information, maybe one of you hotshot
programmers out there can convert the dsn file to a much needed 356 file.
I would try it, however my programming skills are nill, nada, zero

Mike Reagan

* To join or leave this list visit: