Hi Listers,

I'm a newbie to Protel. Over the years I've worked with PCAD, Tango, PADS, but Protel
99SE is definitely a big learning curve for me, so I apologize if this is a dumb
question.

Given that:
a) I have a new PCB with final placement of footprints whose ref designators I wish to
retain,
b) some footprints specified in the schematic are not in the PCB but are in a
"project" library local to the DDB,
c) the PCB contains some footprints whose designators are "don't care", i.e. OK to
change with "Update PCB..."
d) all schematic parts currently have "?" designators

Is there an automated way to getting the two in sync, with the schematic as the
controlling document? Or should I just manually edit the PCB?

I've never seen ANY automated (re)annotation work 100%, and judging by some of the
list traffic it looks like Protel isn't "all that" either. Sorry to knock it, but I am
automatically skeptical when I see broad subjective claims like "powerful
synchronizer".

Darryl Newberry
Hardware Engineer
Blazie, a division of