At 12:08 PM 7/17/01 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I'd like to convert Protel's schematic/layout file to Orcad's. But it's
>said that the only way to do so is exporting schematic to PDIF file and
>layout to PCD 2.8 ASCII file. Protel does no longer support those format
>as their tech support guy mentioned. What should I do?

Three separate questions:

(1) How do I export Protel Schematic to OrCAD Schematic? I think it can be
done, but I don't have the time to verify this at the moment. Protel 99SE
does import Capture and it may be able to write it back, but I wouldn't
swear by this. There is a command (Save As) which allows selection of OrCAD
for schematic format.

(2) How do I use a Protel-generated net list for OrCAD Layout? When you
select Design/CreateNetlist, you are given a choice of output formats.
Choose PCAD or OrCAD PCB II.

(3) How do I export a Protel PCB to OrCAD Layout? The only path besides a
translator, such as is available from Router Solutions, would be through
the 2.8 ASCII format, which Layout will import. Unfortunately, as you note,
Protel no longer exports 2.8. That was rude! There are still a lot of 2.8
users out there.

I would personally export it as a 3.0 binary file and then load that into
Protel 98 and then export from there as 2.8.

Protel might supply 99SE licensees with a copy of 98, just as they supplied
2.8 to people who needed to import Tango. I'd ask.

If it is just one file, perhaps someone on this list would translate it
back for you.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690