Afshin,

I looked into this problem a few years ago and couldn't find a reasonable,
clean method of doing this type of filtering.
After migrating from one CAD system to another, more than once, we decided
a better approach was to manage the
part numbers and data in an external database and look to what was needed
to integrate this data with Protel. At least
then our data remains independent of what CAD software your using. Let's
face it most people have external methods
of managing their data anyway. Most often, it is maintained in spreadsheets.

I have had great success with our newer approach for the last couple of
years. This includes a lot of varied designs
including through hole, surface mount and mixed technologies. I'd rather
not mention particular products on the forum
but you can contact me offline at [EMAIL PROTECTED], for further
information if you like.

At 02:16 PM 17/07/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>     I would like to have protel alter its BOM output from the schematic
> editor depending on what footprint I have
>  selected for a part.  I have company part numbers in two of the eight
> fields that are read only.  If I select a Surface
>  Mount footprint I would like it to use the second part number when
> generating the BOM and if I select a DIP part I
>  would like it to use the first part number.  From the BOM menu I do not
> see an option for any kind of parsing.  Has
>  anyone done this and is there a better way of managing parts so that a
> BOM can be easily created from the output?
>  I created a library for the values of resistors we have to aid in the
> output of a near complete BOM but I would rather
>not have a surface mount AND through hole library.
>
>Afshin Salehi
>DPS Telecom

Regards,

Colin Weber