Apologies for being way off topic, but we need some fun this summer...

> You're welcome. I have seen your company in trade mags over the years. I
> didn't know Tallahassee had a technology industry base. Are there
electronic
> design jobs? I do know it's one hella party town!!!

Yeah, lots of parties.  But engineering geeks don't get invited to them!
Besides, engineering geeks have to study hard to get even a C average.  The
same amount of work (or less) would get you a A in most non-technical
majors.  Geeks have their own parties, but as a fellow geek (if you are),
consider this question:  would you really want to go to any party that
really wanted you?   ;-)

Anyways, parties must be less fun nowadays.  Drinking age is too high, so
kids have easier access to drugs (ecstasy, etc.) than booze.  And they have
to worry about political correctness, sexual harassment (giving and
receiving), and having a condom with them at all times.  All I ever needed
was some "electric jello" or 2 beers to get me happy and rockin', and we
didn't need no stinkin' condoms (pre-AIDS).  I had to quit listening to new
music in 1994, because alternative, grunge, and rap took over.  And all the
new music is "gansta rap" or hip-hop songs about urban violence, racist
lyrics, or booty calls.  I don't want to hate someone, use someone, or
protest, I just want to feel good when I party.  Uh, oh, now I've done it -
I've GOTTEN OLD!  Pretty soon I'll be sitting in a wheelchair in a
retirement home listening to Muzak big band versions of Judas Priest tunes
(imagine "Breaking the Law" performed as a big band instrumental).

Not much of a technology industry base.  General Dynamics has a small
subsidiary here (the SINGCARS military radio production).  Tallacom is here
(a contract manufacturer).  GTO makes automatic gate openers; they are based
here.  Syn-tech Systems is here; they make fuel management systems and
military defense systems.  Peek Traffic, a maker of traffic equipment, is
here but is closing this facility and consolidating operations into the
Sarasota branch.  And of couse, Bagotronix is here!

The National High Magnet Lab is here, but they do pie-in-the-sky research,
not industry.  Florida State University had bragging rights for the fastest
supercomputer for a while in the early 80's.  I don't know why that was
considered a triumph of intellectualism; it was really just a triumph of the
purchase order.  I am a graduate of the FAMU/FSU school of electrical
engineering (class of 1989).

FAMU/FSU has a good engineering program, but you pretty much have to export
yourself to get a job.  I was already working in industry before I
graduated.  After graduating, I was laid off from 2 local engineering jobs
within a year.  The economy was in the toilet then.  At that time I decided
to start my own business, and Bagotronix was born in 1991.  I like most
things about Tallahassee, so I decided to make my stand here.

The local Chamber of Commerce pays lots of lip service as to how ideal
Tallahassee is for technology companies, but IMO it's not true.  We have the
engineering school in our favor, but we have a lot of other strikes against
us:

1)  High real estate / housing prices
2)  High gasoline prices
3)  Very spotty broadband access (unavailable to 85% of the area, I can't
get it at work or home)
4)  High air fares from the local airport (i.e. a 2-way ticket to Atlanta
would be about $780)

IMO, (1) and (2) are the result of an overpopulation of lawyers, lobbyists,
and bureau-rats, since we are the seat of state government.  (3) is the
result of non-competition for Sprint, the local phone company.  (4) is the
result of airline consolidation over the years.

So, why do I stay in Tallahassee?  Well, we do have some pretty canopy roads
and surrounding areas.  There are lots of parks and beaches nearby.  Most of
the city is not your typical asphalt jungle.  Some good friends are here.
Inertia.

> BTW, I have chuckled at some of your rants on the PEDA list. Did you see
my
> Specctra haiku?

Sorry, I must have missed it.  Since I don't have Specctra, I probably
deleted it as soon as I saw the subject line.  Send it up again, if you can.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com