Terry,

We just had a bloke leave us who had reviewed the Protel SI engine. Apparently
it isn't too bad (He actually thoroughly checked the results to make sure), and
he did get it to work. Unfortunately I don't know what he had to do to get it to work.
However, I do have some comments he made (I had to cut the figures to save size):

1.      Protel 99SE

1.1.    Introduction

                Protel 99 includes a Signal Integrity Simulator, which can analyze the PCB layout testing parameters such as overshoot, undershoot and track impedance.
 Signal slope requirements may be examined such as rise/fall time and flight time. The PCB layout may further be analysed by performing reflection or crosstalk
 analysis on individual nets or group nets if any of the above tests fail. IBIS models may also be incorporated in a signal integrity simulation by using the IBIS translator provided by Protel.

1.2.    Simulation Options

                The testing options for  signal integrity simulation during a DRC check may be found in the Rules option under the Design menu. The pop up window is as shown below.
 You may specify as many requirements as you like such as min and max track impedance, max overshoot and min ad max  signal slope. Before running a DRC check make
sure that you have specified the component types in preferences for correct signal integrity analysis . Likewise, specify the input stimulus and the supply nets. Then if you run the DRC
 check and encounter errors you should go to the Tools menu and run the signal integrity tool.

3.      Reflections and Crosstalk

                If the DRC check concluded with signal integrity errors then the next step is to check individual nets for reflections or group of nets for crosstalk. For information on running
this analysis refer to Protelís website: http://www.protel.com/earticles/index.html. Note that for components that are ICís, using the Edit buffer button along side with the IBIS translator,
you may specify the IBIS model (should vary for an input and output) for all ICís.
1.4.    IBIS Translator

                The IBIS translator under the Library menu in the Protel Signal Integrity window has the capability to translate IBIS files up to version v2.1. Once the IBIS file of interest
has been obtained, you may associate it with the IC using the Edit Buffer button.

2.      Worked Example

A  simple demo PCB was done to test the functionality of the Signal Integrity Analyser.
The result of the simulation are as shown below:
Figure 6-1

Figure 6-1 shows the input stimulus and the crosstalk caused on a parallel net running from a transceiver to a receiver IC. The resultant crosstalk is then zoomed in and depicted in Figure 6-2. The blue graph
 is the result of no terminaton on the 2 nets. The green graph is the result of termination but incorrect matching. The red graph is the result from proper termination.

At 04:59 AM 24/08/2001 +0100, you wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:47:20 -0700, Brad Velander wrote:

>Tim,
>       I will just warn you on the SI6000 software, it is not cheap. I
>forget what the exact price was, I was expecting $800 - $1000USD. I gagged
>when I found the actual price, thousands, many thousands.

Their impedance tester is also far from cheap.

If you want other calculators you will find some at www.ultracad.com

The demo version of Hyperlynx at www.hyperlynx.com may also be useful but
I'm not sure how limited the current demo is.

Of course the signal integrity stuff in Protel should be able to do all
this and tell you which tracks you actually need to worry about, but, no
doubt is it buggy (the dialogs seemed to throw exceptions all the time when
I briefly played with it) and I don't suppose anyone figured out how to use
it, particularly how to set up models. Has anyone tried to use it? Has
anyone managed to import an IBIS model yet?

Cheers, Terry.

Regards,

Colin Weber * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * To post a message: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] * * To leave this list visit: * http://www.techservinc.com/protelusers/leave.html * - or email - * mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?body=leave%20proteledaforum * * Contact the list manager: * mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] * * Browse or Search previous postings: * http://www.mail-archive.com/proteledaforum@techservinc.com * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *