From: Colby Siemer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 1:04 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Graphic cards and performance

Ahh... finally resubscribed after my most recent dislocation.

Hello again :)

Another possibility here is that it is not related to graphics or
performance issues related to hardware at all.

It is also possible(since selecting a via seemed to trigger it) that this is
just another instance of the slowdown caused while 'Analyzing Nets'

If that via was part of a large net, that is also likely connected to
polygons, then hiding that net will remove the pause.

Also... ATI(especially RAGE Chipset) has old long standing issues with
Protel and lock-ups.  Turning the hardware acceleration down one notch will
fix this in some cases.  As video cards are relatively in-expensive I have
always suggested buying a new card.  Last I remember the consensus for good
success and stability was placed on Matrox cards.

More and faster video memory will help with Screen redraws while moving
through a PCB...  but I don't think they help with much more than that.

I am currently using an ATI Radeon 64(after promising myelf I would never
again purchase ATI :) ) and I have had good performance with Protel(and
Excellent performance in my games)... no problems I can relate directly to
the video card... so maybe ATI has stepped things up a bit on their new
chipset.

Colby Siemer