Ian Wilson wrote:

> On 01:31 PM 20/10/2001 -0700, Ray Mitchell said:
> >Is there a (reasonable) way to enter equations into the Protel 99SE
> >schematic tool rather than placing logic symbols?  Usually the logic
> >symbols are fine but in some cases equations seem like a more
> >straightforward approach.  I'd like to be able to mix the two.
>
> I assume you are talking about PLD development.
>
> You can use a text editor to design PLDs - the language is CUPL-based.
>
> However, I do not recall seeing anything on mixing Sch and text based entry
> on one PLD design.  I have only done some quite simple text based state
> machine designs targetting that massively complex device, 16V8, on
> Protel.  Usually use other tools.

I have done this in several recent projects with the Xilinx tools, they
do it well.  I tried to do Xilinx development with Protel99SE, but ran into
a number of vendor-specific problems, and finally gave up and went to
the vendor's own tools.  But, I think you CAN do this in Protel.  What
you need to do is design a subsection with the CUPL language, and get
it to synthesize, and then make that file into a macro.  Then, you can
include the macro much like a sub-sheet on a schematic sheet.

Jon