On 01:31 PM 20/10/2001 -0700, Ray Mitchell said:
>Is there a (reasonable) way to enter equations into the Protel 99SE
>schematic tool rather than placing logic symbols?  Usually the logic
>symbols are fine but in some cases equations seem like a more
>straightforward approach.  I'd like to be able to mix the two.

I assume you are talking about PLD development.

You can use a text editor to design PLDs - the language is CUPL-based.

However, I do not recall seeing anything on mixing Sch and text based entry
on one PLD design.  I have only done some quite simple text based state
machine designs targetting that massively complex device, 16V8, on
Protel.  Usually use other tools.

In the SPICE-based simulator there is a .NSX text frame that allows SPICE
statements to be included with the Sch, but I do not know of anything
similar for PLD.  Going the other way (adding a Sch sheet to a text based
design) - unless there is something in the documentation that I missed on a
quick read then the only method would be to compile the sheet and grab the
equations and paste into the text based design.  Messy but you may find
useful in avoiding some subtle errors.

Have you asked Protel Support?  They should be able to tell you straight
away. I have been getting responses to simple emails quite quickly recently
- these have been pretty much bug reports though.  More difficult questions
on the SDK seem to have gone to ground...(but that maybe due to the rather
aggravated tone of the email as I was very peeved at the time - the SDK
does that to me.)

Ian Wilson