At 10:24 AM 11/5/01 +1300, Wayne Trow wrote:

>Ive got a design that was made a long time ago by someone else and the pcb
>has no net information associated with free primitives (traces).
>
>Updating from schematic doesn't seem to fix it. Thats with "Assign net to
>connected copper" checked.

This is a case where using Netlist load (Design/NetlistManager/LoadNetlist
as I recall) instead of Update from Schematic may be easier to
troubleshoot. Create a netlist from the Schematic, then load that into PCB.

A series of macros will be created. Right-click on the macro display and
save it as a text file. Search the text file for Error messages.

One possibility is that components do not exist on the board, instead there
are only free primitives. Yes, I've encountered designs like that, done by
engineers who didn't want to take the time to create real footprints, etc.
They checked the board by having two engineers work together to mark it off
against the schematic. Of course, the whole thing would have taken much
less time if they had done it right in the first place, but reality does
not have to make sense....

By the way, in boards which have been checked in this way, I have sometimes
found errors. Generally they were not errors that would cause the assembled
PCB to fail, though they could drive a technician mad; gates might be
swapped or a series resistor-capacitor swapped, a bypass capacitor might be
unconnected, etc.

If the nets are not loading into the pads, obviously the process that
assigns nets from connected copper is not going to work. So fix problems in
the netlist load first, then worry about connected copper. One of the most
common problems is pad names not matching between the schematic symbol and
the PCB footprint. Names must match *exactly*.

Once the pads are all correctly assigned nets -- you can generate a netlist
from the board that can be compared with the original netlist, if you want
to be sure -- you might then look for shorts. If two nets are shorted
together, some or all of the primitives in those nets may not receive
netlist assignments. You must eliminate those shorts.

(Netlist generation from PCB is of two kinds: one generates a netlist which
reflects the actual connections on the board, i.e., what the copper
implements, the other simply dumps a netlist from what is loaded into the
pads. I was talking, in the last paragraph, about the second kind, from
which you could check pad net assignments independent of the tracks
connecting pads.)

Having primitives outside the workspace may also cause troubles, but that
would be relatively rare.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA