At 03:11 PM 11/16/01 -0700, Mark Richards wrote:
>Hello,
>I have a spare Protel 98 license that I would like to put up for sale.
>Can anyone give me an idea of the "street value" of this license? Does
>anyone know someone who may be interested?

Here is an idea: A P98 license can be upgraded to Protel 99SE for $1995.
The regular price for a new Protel 99SE license is $7995. From this, one
might get the idea that the older license is worth as much as $6000. Which
is, I think, more than was originally paid for it.

However, a buyer will not be motivated to buy a second-hand license unless
some savings are involved. In the current uncertain situation regarding
upgrade pricing to the next major Protel version, it is a little unclear
what the value of a Protel 99SE license purchased before October 1 might
be. One who upgrades now gets ATS, the new support plan, free for the first
year, and that almost certainly involves a free upgrade to the next version.

But I am guessing that upgrade from 99SE to the next version will be on the
order of $995, which will include ATS for the first year. I could be
completely wrong, it could be $1995, which would leave some current 99SE
licensees wishing they had waited to upgrade a few more months....

To an end user, I'd think that the P98 license should be worth about $4000,
if you can find a buyer. There is a list,
[EMAIL PROTECTED], which can be used to post a for-sale
notice. I also might be willing to buy the license, write me off-list if
interested; but I would not pay as much as an end user since I would be
buying it for resale.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
LOMAX DESIGN ASSOCIATES
PCB design, consulting, and training