Steve, here's a comment from my archive that might help:

-----Original Message-----
From: Frances Wheeler
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 5:10 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list proteledausers
Subject: Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Imperial <-> Metric & Wheel Mouse

That is easy -- assign the wheel button either page up or page down assign
the thumb side button the opposite. I like Page UP for the wheel and PAGE
Down for the thumb. Protel uses PAGE UP for ZOOM IN and PAGE DOWN for ZOOM
OUT.  Word or any other text editor uses those to scroll down the page so it

works for anybody.

Love this mouse! (MouseMan+)

Fran Wheeler